Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wonderful Naam

Why is it so important to remember God's Name (Nam Simran)? It seems like a pretty strange thing to do - I mean Nam Japna means saying the same Name over and over again, day and night , seven days a week for all of your life? Perhaps this will make it clearer:

The human body is like a wedding car. The mind is the chauffeur and the soul is the bride sitting in the back seat. She sat in the car thinking that she would be driven to the marriage ceremony at the tenth door (dasam duar) where God Himself would be the Husband. Then He'd take her away to Sach Khand (Realm of Truth : God's abode) and they'd be living in wedded bliss happily ever after.

But soon after sitting down, she found the chauffeur was a very cunning driver. He opened all the doors so that his 5 friends called Anger, Greed, Lust, Attachment and Pride could have their wicked way with her. She just couldn't get out and instead of driving the car to Sach Khand, he pushed it around slowly and awkwardly in any direction he wanted depending on where his 5 friends wanted to go. He just couldn't be bothered to get to the wedding at the dasam duar, not that he even knew where it was - I don't think he even had a map and none of his so-called friends knew where to go. The strange thing is that everyone in this world is pushing their cars with the bride trapped with the 5 strange thieves and no-one thinks it's strange because it's what they are used to - I mean everyone’s been doing it like that for thousands of years and they're all lost. They're number plate reads: 'M A N M U K H'.

All of a sudden a car speeds by with a chauffeur sitting in the driving seat driving normally. His number plate is 'G U R M U K H'. ManMukh stops and talks to him, 'Excuse me, why do you drive your car while others push them?'.

He replies, 'Well, I used to be a MAN-MUKH pusher like you, but I met a very spiritually gifted holy man who told me that I was driving my car all wrong. I used to love my car and I didn't like it when he said that. My car was the best car in the world. It had fluffy dice and go faster stripes. It had wheels that would bounce the car up and down; I'd even fitted a £10,000 music centre into the boot. My car was beautiful and everyone used to tell me how beautiful it was. ‘

‘The holy man then told me that if I wanted to know how to drive fast then I'd have to go to a special place called a Gurdwara-Nam-Petrol station where I'd meet the Supreme Being, called the Guru Granth Sahib jee and that if I became a disciple and promised to follow the Guru's instructions then I too could be whizzing around to my true destination. ‘

‘Of course, I didn't believe him at first and my pusher friends all laughed at the absurdity of it whoever heard of someone driving their car? They just wouldn't believe that I'd seen this 'G U R M U K H'. Anyway, I met the 'G U R M U K H' again and I went to the Gurdwara-Nam-petrol station and I saw lots of people driving really fast just like him. I was so exited, I had a tingly feeling in my stomach - I just couldn't wait to meet the Guru Granth Sahib jee.’

‘Then I drank the amrit-nectar and became a disciple. I promised I'd obey my Guru's instructions and I wouldn't do all the silly decorations that I'd done to my car. The first thing Guru jee told me was that this hole in the top of the car, called the mouth was for a special reason. He told me I'd been pouring the wrong kind of fuel in it. I'd been saying so many useless words but they weren't helping me at all. The real fuel to pour into the mouth was The Name of God: Waheguru. If I kept pouring this Nam-petrol into my car day and night then I'd have the power to reach God the Husband.’

My Guru jee also told me to sing my daily prayers so I'd I find the directions and to serve the saints so I'd get the hints and tips of their blessings. And look at me now, I'm whizzing around like nobody's business. It was hard at first, but now I'm used to it and I'll soon be at God's Door and this Divine marriage of Bliss can take place. I tell you, I can't believe I'd been such a fool for so many years. My friends still don't believe me, but I don't hang out with them anymore.’

‘Plus my Guru jee gave me this new Number plate 'G U R M U K H' it means the one who has got his face towards the Guru - I follow my Guru now, before I used have my face towards my own minds desires and cravings so I was a 'M A N M U K H'. So if you're interested in learning how to drive your car then come and meet the Supreme Being - Guru Granth Sahib jee. He'll help you just like he helped me.

No comments: